Lindsey Buckingham suffers vocal-cord injury during surgery

It was revealed on Friday afternoon, that Lindsey Buckingham, — formerly of Fleetwood Mac — was recently admitted to the hospital, where he underwent emergency open-heart surgery.

The 69-year-old’s wife, Kristen Buckingham, shared the news and confirmed that while her husband was recuperating at home, the surgery resulted in damage to his vocal cords.

“I am sad to say that late last week Lindsey underwent emergency open heart surgery,” she wrote in a Facebook post. “He is now recuperating at home and each day he is stronger than the last.”

Buckingham was unable to confirm whether the damage was permanent.

“While he and his heart are doing well,” she continued, “the surgery resulted in vocal cord damage. While it is is unclear if this damage is permanent, we are hopeful it is not.”

Lindsey Buckingham performs live on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'

Lindsey Buckingham performs live on 'Jimmy Kimmel Live!'

Randy Holmes via Getty Images

READ MORE: Lindsey Buckingham ‘doesn’t miss’ being in Fleetwood Mac

It was also revealed that the rocker has a family history of heart issues. His wife hoped that her post would inspire anyone with even the mildest of symptoms to “seek preventative care,” to avoid any possibility of future surgeries.

“Our family thought it important to share what’s happening with Lindsey with the hope that inspires someone else to seek preventative care,” she wrote. “Lindsey’s family has a history of heart issues, having lost both his father at 56 and his brother at 46 to heart related illness.”

“If anyone is experiencing even the mildest of symptoms we encourage you to seek the care of a physician.”

Buckingham retweeted the post to his personal Twitter page, doubling the gratitude put forward by his wife:

“This past year has been a very stressful and difficult year for our family to say the least. But despite all this, our gratitude for life trumps all obstacles we have faced at this moment.”

“We are so thankful for the kind and generous love given by the people surrounding Lindsey, me and our kids throughout this emotional time,” she added. “We can’t thank you enough for all you did for our family. We will never forget you.”

Although no specific details were revealed, it was confirmed that any “shows currently scheduled” will be postponed as Buckingham “gathers the strength to heal completely.”

“We feel so fortunate he’s alive,” concluded his wife. “As does he. He looks forward to recovery and putting this behind him.”

Following a highly successful solo tour in late 2018, Buckingham was planning to hit the road once more in the summer of 2019.

Lindsey Buckingham performs in support of his 'Solo Anthology: The Best of Lindsey Buckingham' at the Palace of Fine Arts Theatre on Oct. 9, 2018, in San Francisco, Calif.

Lindsey Buckingham performs in support of his 'Solo Anthology: The Best of Lindsey Buckingham' at the Palace of Fine Arts Theatre on Oct. 9, 2018, in San Francisco, Calif.

Steve Jennings/Getty Images

READ MORE: Ozzy Osbourne admitted to hospital with flu ‘complications’

Buckingham was kicked out of Fleetwood Mac early last year. He served as the group’s leader alongside Stevie Nicks for more than a combined total of 33 years.

It was only two days after their MusiCares performance back in January — they were being honoured as MusiCare’s Person of the Year in New York City.

He received a call with the bad news from the band’s manager, Irving Azoff, who allegedly said, “Stevie never wants to be on a stage with you again.”

Following reported arguments, Nicks also claimed he smirked during her acceptance speech at MusiCares.

Nicks reportedly gave the band an ultimatum: either he was out or she was. From that point on, Buckingham was cut out. He tried to reach out to his bandmates via calls and email but says he received no answers.

Buckingham was replaced by Tom Petty’s Heartbreaker, Mike Campbell, and Neil Finn of Crowded House. They will share guitar duties, while Finn now acts as the replacement co-vocalist to sing alongside Nicks.

Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac performs onstage at Radio City Music Hall on Jan. 26, 2018, in New York City.

Lindsey Buckingham of Fleetwood Mac performs onstage at Radio City Music Hall on Jan. 26, 2018, in New York City.

Kevin Mazur/Getty Images for NARAS

READ MORE: Lindsey Buckingham sues Fleetwood Mac over dismissal from band

Following his dismissal from the band, Buckingham filed a lawsuit against former bandmates Mick FleetwoodStevie NicksJohn McVie and Christine McVie.

After an interview on CBS’ This Morning back in December, Buckingham revealed that the suit was resolved. He admitted he was “happy enough” with the settlement and that he wasn’t “out there trying to twist the knife.”

“I’m trying to look at this with some level of compassion, some level of wisdom,” he added.

Fleetwood Mac are still on the road for their In Concert tour. There are four remaining Canadian stops on the tour.

Tickets are available through the official Fleetwood Mac website.

Fleetwood Mac Canadian tour dates 2019

04/08 — Toronto, Ont. @ Scotiabank Arena
04/11 — Winnipeg, Man. @ Bell MTS Place
04/13 — Edmonton, Alta. @ Rogers Place
04/15 — Calgary, Alta. @ Scotiabank Saddledome

adam.wallis@globalnews.ca

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories