Rock 101 is proud to support the Vancouver International Guitar Festival, August 11-12 at the Creekside Community Recreation Centre,
Join guitar builders, players, collectors and aficionados for two days of live music, master classes, special events, and the opportunity to see, hear and play some of the world’s finest handmade stringed instruments.
2018 Highlights Include:
- A new venue at the Creekside Community Centre in the former Olympic Village, a licensed bar with live music, guitar making workshops sponsored by Lee Valley and three small concerts at the Sarah McLachlan School of Music.
- A presentation of the Luthier Industry Builder Award to Michael Dunn. Over a half century Dunn has built more than 600 guitars for some of the world’s foremost players and collectors and has mentored more than 100 luthiers in his East Vancouver workshop. He is renowned as an artist and innovator who continually breaks the mold to create instruments that are works of sculptural art with extraordinary qualities of sound and playability.
- Ervin Somogyi is a rock star in the luthier world. He has written two world renowned volumes on lutherie, The Responsive Guitar and Making the Responsive Guitar. Building primarily high-end steel-string guitars that sell for over $30,000 each, Somogyi cultivates a clientele of serious musicians—such as the late John Denver and Michael Hedges, and fingerstyle master Alex de Grassi—as well as collectors who buy his instruments as investments. Recording artists such as Daniel Hecht and George Winston list Somogyi as the builder of their guitars for several past and present albums.
- The Vancouver International Guitar Festival All Stars featuring local and world class artists Don Alder, Itamar Erez, Mark Lemaire, David Martone, Adam Miller, François Pelletier, Paul Pigat and Terry Robb creating an unforgettable night of music and camaraderie.
- An evening with acclaimed musician Harry Manx, Saturday August 11. Named by Billboard Magazine as “Canada’s most versatile and expressive blues player.”
- Van Django and Friends with guest appearance by Vancouver Gypsy Jazz Legend and Master Luthier Michael Dunn, Saturday August 12