ScotFestBC 2023 returns to Coquitlam’s Town Centre Park June 16th – 18th!
BC’s annual Scottish music, cultural and competition festival is expanding with several new events this year, including a Friday evening concert by one of the world’s top pipe bands and a day-long world music festival.
Since the pandemic ScotFestBC has been holding larger-scale annual festivals at Coquitlam’s Town Centre Park, centered on a full Saturday program following a Friday evening of music, dance, whisky & oysters.
“ScotFestBC has long been the only opportunity in BC to see the big pipe bands, the best pipers and some of the world’s top Celtic groups, and we’re
responding to interest in more of that by adding more. We’re also responding to interest in more of the world music we’ve been bringing to our stages in recent years by adding a one-day
world music festival on the Sunday, creating an opportunity to celebrate the diversity of music from around the world that has found a home in BC.” – Mike Chisholm, ScotFestBC Executive Director
The 2023 ScotFestBC program will include:
Friday evening (3 – 10 pm)
• Opening ceremony – 6:00 pm.
• The Simon Fraser University Pipe Band on the Main Stage to perform a full concert
starting 6:15 pm.
• Irish great Sharon Shannon will follow the pipe band on The Big Tent stage
• Whisky & Oysters. Presented by Macaloney Distillery (ticketed event)
• Highland Dance Choreography
• Also on Friday, the big tent and beverage service will be open in the afternoon with
Blackthorn as the opening act.
Saturday (7 am – 10 pm)
• The 91st British Columbia Highland Games – piping, drumming, highland dancing,
Scottish heavy events, massed pipe bands, cultural workshops, children’s activities.
• Piping – Solo piping, drumming and pipe bands will compete throughout the day on The
Meadow, wrapping up with a massed pipe band performance at 5 pm.
• Celtic music on The Big Tent Stage – Celtic bands throughout the day.
• Heritage Stage, Irish & Scottish dancers, singers
• Whisky School – Bill Diamond is back with four unique afternoon whisky tasting classes
• Cultural Tent – topics that will inform, educate and entertain, starting at 10 am
• Vendors – Scottish and world vendors & artisans offering a range of interesting items
• Saturday Whisky & Oysters, Presented by Macaloney Distillery (ticketed event)
• Food trucks – Something for everyone.
Sunday (10 am – 5 pm)
• A full day of world music, hosted by Gurdeep Pandher, including
o Foro Do Cana (Brazil)
o Royal Academy of Bhangra (Indian)
o Git Hayetsk Dancers (First Nations)
o Sade’ Awele & Serengeti (African infused R&B)
o Robin Laine & the Rhythm Makers (World jazz, folk, trad)